Flat rate shipping with handling fee

I'm having an issue where our client's customers are getting charged extra shipping when their cart contains products from multiple categories.

Our site is setup for multiship and we're using flat rate shipping ($12) for all categories. On one specific category, "Candy", we need to charge a $10 handling fee. I currently have the "Candy" category set up with $12 flat rate shipping (charge per shipment) and $10 handling fee. I also have "Default (all products)" set up as $12 flat rate shipping (charge per shipment).

If the customer has ONLY products from the "Candy" category in their cart, they are correctly charged $22 for shipping. If they have something from "Candy" as well as, say, a coffee mug in their cart, they are being incorrectly charged $34 for shipping - should be $22.

What am I doing wrong here and how do I fix it?

Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    Hi John,

Did you receive our response to your email to our helpdesk last week? I'll include our response here too in case you didn't:
    The checkout will apply the shipping and handling charges for each different category that is present in the cart - so in your example, the $34 is the combination of the two categories as you detailed.

If you want to be a bit more conditional about what shipping charges apply when, you will want to take a look at our custom snippets - specifically this one: https://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/shipping/tiered_flat_rate_shipping

You'll need to do all your shipping calculations (including handling fees) from within the snippet rather than within the administration - but that will let you set up more detailed costs.
  • Hi Adam -
    Sorry, yes. Thanks for including it here. Will that snippet work for 2.0?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesigns,

Good question - no it won't, you'll want the flat rates snippet from here: http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/snippets