The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Foreign - based store set up

PhilippePhilippe Member
Hi,

I just set up a store based in France (domain i-sailseu.foxycart.com ) , and am unable to default the country to France in the side cart
(we are using the custom fat rates snippet for 2.0)

- Even though "shipping from country" is France in the settings , the default country is US when you first load the side cart with the first product- how can I change that to France

a test page is at http://www.i-sails.fr/test.html

You can click the "add sail button" to load product in the cart
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @Philippe

We set the customer country field automatically based on a GEOIP lookup for the customers IP. So for example as I'm from The Philippines, when I hit a FoxyCart powered checkout the country selector will be pre-filled with 'Philippines'. If that fails, the store's locale settings will be used.

You can certainly overwrite that set up, and we have some snippets on our wiki for how to do it, take a look at this page for examples: http://wiki.foxycart.com/snippets/shipping/restricting_countries_and_states_on_the_checkout_old

Let us know if you run in to additional concerns. We're happy to help.
  • That will work for me then - I am setting and testing that French store from a US IP and I thought naively that the Merican brutish approach had applied and US was the hard coded default, whereas it was my ip address leading to the US default - well done and sorry for underestimating you guys, you rock!!
    You're welcome, @Philippe. I saw you filed a ticket Re: FoxyCart: Multiple languages, should I file that off as resolved?
  • Nope, the foreign language ticket is still valid...
    Alright then. Will try to get to that as soon as possible