Option to generate an estimate?

We create customized and personalized products. After selecting the items they want, the customer will send us the wording/logos/etc that needs to be placed on their items. Oftentimes, a customer may make changes to the order after it's been placed, and that may change the total they're charged. We need a way to capture the credit card info and charge it later - or not capture it at all and generate an invoice.

Setting a specified auth amount might get around this, but as mentioned in your wiki it can pose problems if we're holding onto the amount for an extended period - and if our customer takes longer to make up their mind (which happens more often than not), the auth might expire.

We're also looking at integrating FoxyCart into our Quickbooks accounting system, so could it be possible for the customer to select a "pay later" or "Quote Only" option during checkout, that would then generate an estimate?
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @crystalimagesinc

You can set payments to "authorize only" to allow the customers time to evaluate their purchase. If you enable it, you will have to login to your payment gateway admin and capture the funds manually within the allowed timeframe. The timeframe is dictated by your specific gateway, so you would have to consult them for that.

Have a look at this if you're integrating with Quickbooks: http://www.foxycart.com/features/integrations/quickbooks/consolibyte. Although, I do have to warn you that we have been getting some issues with regards to Consolibyte in recent weeks, and we're discussing internally about possible workarounds. So, you might want to hold off on that until some progress would be made.
  • @fc_jed

The "authorize" option doesn't sound like it would be best for us. Is there a way for the customer to checkout their cart as just a quote request?

We'll await the Quickbooks integration until later. We already manually enter our orders into QB, so it's not going to kill us to keep going this way.
    @crystalimagesinc

Have a look at purchase orders, it might be the best option for you to take. You can find more technical information about it here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/purchase_orders.
  • How would I go about changing the name of the purchase order to something else, like "Custom Quote"? I'm not as familiar with Javascript.
    Hi @crystalimagesinc,

You wouldn't need custom Javascript for that. Just approach it like you would any other product and you should be good to go.

i.e. <input type="hidden" name="Custom Quote">
  • @fc_jed

I'm referring to the Purchase Order option in the FoxyCart checkout screen. I want to change the name there from "Purchase Order" to "Custom Quote," and perhaps add some text beneath it to describe to the customer what to put in the field.
  • @fc_jed

I'm referring to the Purchase Order option in the FoxyCart checkout screen. I want to change the name there from "Purchase Order" to "Custom Quote," and perhaps add some text beneath it to describe to the customer what to put in the field.
    @crystalimagesinc

Oh! I'm sorry I misunderstood. You can modify the name in your store admin's Language Customization page, just search for Purchase Order, change its value to "Custom Quote", click the Update Language Customizations at the bottom, and you should be good.
  • Thank you! This answers a lot of my future questions too :)
    @crystalimagesinc

Great to hear! :) And, oh, hey. Sorry about the delayed response to your other forum post(s), I've been meaning to get to it for quite some time now. I'll try to help you out with that issue as soon as possible.