Credit Card pre-auths that should not have been granted

Hi,

My accounting department recognized a FC transaction that was approved, but should not have been.

Here is the reason,

"The 3 Xs indicate that the street number, zip code and security code were incorrect. However, a transaction can be approved without all 3 being a match. Each card issuer, (B of A, Capital One, etc.), have their own criteria for granting an approval."

Is this a FC-related issue or specifically related to our payment gateway?

Thanks!
Karen
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @kmadler. The "3 Xs" you reference are probably being returned from your gateway, as FoxyCart doesn't have anything like that (and all that checking is done on the gateway).

Typically, you'd set things up in your gateway to say "If it's a zip code mismatch, decline" or "If it's a CSC error, decline". It sounds like in this case the gateway did all that checking, but it wasn't configured to decline the transaction based on that criteria.

So the short version is: This is more specifically related to the payment gateway. FoxyCart's really only concerned with the gateway saying "yes" or "no". If the gateway says "yes and here are also 3 Xs", the "yes" is the only thing that matters.

Does that help?
  • Yes, perfect, thanks Brett!
  • Hi Brett,

Is it possible that the payment gateway sent a "no" and FC still allowed the order to go through? Is there a way to check this?

I have asked my accounting team to look into the payment gateway, but if I can prove to them this is not a FC problem, that would be very helpful!

Here is some information related to the order in question. This order almost got shipped to the customer. It would be helpful if I could attach the screenshot of the payment gateway decline on 6/12/15, 3:12:25PM but here's what I've got:
    "
    The CC authorization was declined but the website allowed the order to go through. This has happened one other time. Can you please have Shipping pull this order so it doesn’t ship & let Karen know that there was a malfunction with the website? It’s order 721625320.
    "

Thanks,
    Karen
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @kmadler,

We'd be happy to take a look, could you please whisper us the store this relates to? You can do so by just checking the "whisper" checkbox and entering comma-separated forum usernames in the textbox that appears.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @kmadler,

Thanks for whispering those details.

Looking at the logs for this transaction, there were three separate attempts to complete the checkout by this customer, which meant there were three separate requests sent to the gateway.

The first attempt returned as declined from the gateway. The customer then attempted again and received a decline again with an error for it being a duplicate transaction. Finally though the third attempt did return from the gateway as successful.

That last response from your gateway is showing the transaction as approved - so as best as we can tell, the gateway was able to successfully charge the customer. If you're not seeing the final charge being successfully taken, I'd recommend reaching out to your gateway and checking with them why they returned it as approved to FoxyCart. If you need we can provide their response to us as well.
  • Hi Adam,

Thanks so much, this is super helpful. I have passed the information along to my accounting team and will let you know if I need their response to FC.

Thanks again,
    Karen