Customer attaching and sending a file on the Checkout page

We need a way for customers to send us their artwork and engraving instructions at checkout. I was able to find this old forum topic, but it's from 2010 and doesn't directly mention what exactly to do: https://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/comment/20889/
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @crystalimagesinc

Sorry for getting back so late. What you might need is Custom Checkout Fields. I'm not sure if uploading an artwork is an option, but perhaps you can let the customer upload it somewhere publicly accessible and then just paste the link in a field there. I've taken the liberty of writing you a sample for the Engraving Instructions:
    <div class="fc-form-group ">
    <div class="col-sm-8 col-sm-offset-3">
    <div class="fc-input-group-container fc-input-group-container--checkbox fc-input-group-container--active">
    <label class="fc-input-group-container__title fc-input-group-container__title--forced fc-form-label">
    Engraving Instructions
    </label>
    <div class="fc-form-group">
    <textarea name="Engraving_Instructions" id="Engraving_Instructions" aria-required="false" autocomplete="off" class="fc-form-control" placeholder="Enter your instructions here..." style="background:#fff; height:5em;">{{ Engraving_Instructions }}</textarea>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
  • That will work great for typing out engraving instructions. There's no way to add an attachment to the receipt, though, or sending it out as part of an email?
    @crystalimagesinc

What do you mean by sending it out as part of an email? Currently, there is function to add an attachment to the receipt because of security concerns. The advice with that is to just attach it as a link.
  • By that, I meant that if it couldn't be attached to the receipt, if it could be sent in a separate email to the store email address when the customer completes their checkout.
    @crystalimagesince

Oh, sure. You could do that, but it's not a native FoxyCart function. You would have to integrate with services like Mailchimp, Foxyshop, or other third party applications that take the datafeed as an input.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @crystalimagesince,

To follow up on Jed's reply there - a simple solution would be to include a note on the receipt and email receipt templates that the customer will need to email you the file. It's not perfect, and could be prone to customers missing it, but could work.

A few other stores have taken the approach of including a file-upload facility on their own website as part of the add to cart form. The customer uploads the files within your own website, and then a reference to that file (like the filename) would be included as a custom attribute for the product. That would then be tracked through the order with the product, and you could use that reference on your own side to connect the file upload with the order.