The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Suggestion: change the country drop down.

Hi there,

I am making some changes to the default checkout and am looking at the country drop down...wanting to change it's default behavior. I hope to implement a sort of "auto-complete text field with loose partial matching, synonyms and weighted results" as the author of the following article puts it.

While I work on this I thought the author made a lot of sense and wanted to suggest that you all implement it as such into FoxyCart. FoxyCart current implementation is a bit unwieldy I think.

For what it's worth.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/10/redesigning-the-country-selector/

Carlos

PS. I don't need input on this (unless anyone sees any reason why I can't implement what the author says on FoxyCart's checkout I suppose)...just making a suggestion.
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited July 2015
    @carlos123,
    "auto-complete text field with loose partial matching, synonyms and weighted results"
    That's … exactly what we have currently? What specifically are you looking to do that our default doesn't do?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    edited July 2015
    Also, wrt the country selector specifically, we prepopulate that automatically with something like 99.8% accuracy. So the vast majority of the time, nobody will ever need to touch that. That's why in v2.0 our default styling displays that less as an input and more a clickable text (though you can still use keyboard navigation to get to it, and when focused or clicked, it becomes clear it's an input).
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for the heads up that FoxyCart's country "drop down" does do things the way the article suggests. I will have to take a closer look at it.

My apologies for not having done so before I posted the suggestion. It just seemed that it wasn't the same thing but from what you are saying I was mistaken.

The reason I started looking at the drop down to see what I could change was originally because, under the revisions to the checkout that I have made, the drop down goes off screen at the bottom (a different issue entirely which I will start another thread to address).

Thanks for the input Brett.

Carlos
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited July 2015
    @carlos123,

Perhaps a good overview of what our location autocompleter can do is from the blog post from when we launched it with 1.0: http://www.foxycart.com/blog/foxycomplete-new-awesome-on-our-checkouts-countrystate-autocompleter - it's actually based on that exact solution you linked to - but we've adapted and improved it based on our own experiences with using checkouts.
  • Wow! That's one heck of a drop down you all have and a great link describing it.

I have to admit that I didn't like it on a cursory look but I will have to seriously play around with it and kick the tires some (as the saying goes). Maybe my appreciation for FoxyCart's implementation it will grow :).

Thanks for the input Adam.

Carlos