700 character limit to comments in custom fields?

CliffSCliffS Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2015
Our Foxycart 2.0 system has a checkout custom form field.
My customers often post long messages using this field.
But the messages are truncated after about 700 characters.
This truncation causes problems: I must query my customer for additional details.

What can I do about this?

Here is the html from my checkout custom field, but I have substituted "<" with "[" or else it would be interpreted as html. (how do I get around this??)

(MODERATOR'S EDIT: Wrap in a pre tag, but you need to htmlspecialchar escape things at this point, unfortunately. Alternately, wrap in a code tag, and that generally works as well. —@brett)
<div class="fc-form-group ">
<div class="col-sm-8 col-sm-offset-3">
<div class="fc-input-group-container fc-input-group-container--checkbox fc-input-group-container--active">
<label class="fc-input-group-container__title fc-input-group-container__title--forced fc-form-label">
Special instructions, comments, or dissertations:
</label>
div class="fc-form-group">
<textarea name="Comments_or_Dissertations" id="Comments_or_Dissertations" aria-required="false" autocomplete="off" class="fc-form-control" placeholder="?" style="background:#fff; height:5em;">{{ Comments_or_Dissertations }}</textarea>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @CliffS.
    That's a db limit on our end. At this point, we'd recommend putting a maxlength attribute on the text area:
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_textarea_maxlength.asp

Not sure if the "dissertations" is tongue in cheek, but perhaps that's encouraging longer comments. Are longer comments a requirement? If so, perhaps there'd be a better way to collect them. Let us know. We're here to help.
    edited August 2015
    For posting code, you can wrap it in a code tag and it'll work, or you can wrap it in a pre tag (but you've gotta escape the HTML special characters, so < becomes &lt;. Sorry that's not easier. It's something we need to improve on our forum, for sure.
  • Thanx Brett.

Dissertations? Yes, indeed! I'm dealing with PhD mathematicians. They happily solve partial differential equations, but they generally don't like to count.

If there's a way to make special fields accept longer comments (say 1023 characters), it'd sure be helpful.
    @CliffS, would it be possible to maybe do 2 different fields? Break it apart into one that says "Special Instructions & Comments", another for "Dissertations"?

At this point, we can't increase the size of that field. (We're working on some database things currently and the folks doing that will be even more grumpy if I so much as bring up a schema change :)

Another option might be just "If you need more space, please email us at _______". Do the dissertations need to be associated with a specific order?