add service charge to paypal

Is there a way for us to add a 3% service charge for all transactions that use Paypal?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesigns,

We don't have any standard functionality or existing snippets which would achieve this for you. That said it could be possible - but it will depend on how you're wanting to track that charge. It could be in 1 of 2 ways.

1) You could add an additional product to the cart from the checkout if the customer selects PayPal.
    2) You could roll the additional 3% into the shipping charges the customer receives.

If you could confirm what version of FoxyCart you're using, there may be a snippet that would give you an idea of how you could approach it.
  • @fc_adam
    We are using 2.0

I think option 1 would be best.

Thanks!
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesign

Let us know how it works out for you. Feel free to get in touch with us if you run into additional concerns.
  • @fc_jed fc_adam said there may be a snippet we could use. Can you point us in the right direction?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesigns, out of curiosity, why is this needed? I'm not sure about PayPal in particular, but Visa and MasterCard have pretty strict requirements about charging more for accepting credit cards versus cash. (They've been relaxed recently, but there are still limitations. I'm not sure if PayPal has something as well. Worth mentioning though.)
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ahsodesigns,

This is the snippet I was referring to - which adds a gift wrapping product based on a checkbox selection: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/snippets/gift_wrapping_checkbox_on_checkout

You could alter that snippet to be triggered based off of the selected gateway choice instead.
  • @brett I've advised against this and cited that Visa, MC, Amex also charge this fee and should not be added to Paypal transactions.