v2.0 Checkout: Microsoft Edge

simonasimona Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2015
Hi,

I've just been sent a report from a customer that our checkout page is not working in Microsoft Edge on Windows 10:
However, just thought I’d let you know the checkout function doesn’t work in Windows 10. It’s ok when you re-open the site in Internet Explorer, but not with the default Microsoft Edge.
No further details. I don't have Windows 10 to hand on any machines here so can't reproduce.

I just upgraded the store to FoxyCart 2.0 and the only customisation to the default responsive templates is some JavaScript custom shipping code, via FoxyCart Admin -> Templates -> Configuration -> Add custom header and footer code to your templates, which is based on the snippet in the FoxyCart docs.

Is this a known issue?

Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @simona

We're aware of the issue and are investigating how to resolve it. In the meantime, as a temporary workaround, you can default to the Full Page cart by going to your store admin's Template Configuration (https://admin.foxycart.com/admin.php?ThisAction=TemplateConfig) and checking Customize your cart type. We apologize for this inconvenience and we'll notify you as soon as this issue is resolved.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @simona, could you whisper us your store URL? On simple pages things seem to work fine in Edge, but this is the 2nd (maybe 3rd, I'm still catching up) report we've had. I think there must be something in particular that we're not seeing on our test pages.

Someday, we'll have flying cars, and Microsoft won't make crappy browsers. Someday.
  • I have also emailed in to support for this exact issue.

Let's hope it is fixed soon as I do not wish to disable the sidecart.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @simona,

Thanks for whispering those details.

We'll continue to look into this and will update you all when we have more information
    @simona and @ChandlerComputers, if possible could you instruct your users (and do it yourselves as well) to report the issue to Microsoft? It's the little happy face in the upper right. At this point we haven't even been able to debug the issue because the dev tools don't work in Edge either.
  • @brett, I'll have access to a Windows 10 machine next week and will check it out myself and report to MS.
  • @brett I reported the error to Microsoft a week ago.
  • edited August 2015
    Is there no way you can adapt the side cart to auto detect the browser of the visitor?

If visitor is using Microsoft Edge, send to full page cart.

Surely this is possible?
    @ChandlerComputers and @simona

You could use this snippet in place of where you normally call the loader.js:
    <script>
    function loadScript(url, callback) {
    // Adding the script tag to the head as suggested before
    var head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0];
    var script = document.createElement('script');
    script.type = 'text/javascript';
    script.src = url;

// Then bind the event to the callback function.
    // There are several events for cross browser compatibility.
    script.onreadystatechange = callback;
    script.onload = callback;

// Fire the loading
    head.appendChild(script);
    }

var has_foxy_loaded = function() {
    console.log("FoxyCart has loaded")
    };

if(!(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Edge") != -1)) {
    loadScript("//cdn.foxycart.com/[INSERT YOUR STORE DOMAIN NAME HERE]/loader.js", has_foxy_loaded);
    }
    </script>
    Just replace the link in the loadScript with the link found for your loader.js. This serves as a temporary workaround which bypasses the sidecart (by not calling the FC loader.js) when customers are using the Edge browser.

We'll keep you posted when we find a solution for the Edge browser issue, but for the meantime, we hope this snippet would avoid any checkout impediments. We greatly appreciate your patience on the matter.
  • edited August 2015
    Hi Jed,

Thank you for your help. The script almost works for me. It does send me to the full page cart when using Edge, however it does not load the correct locale. You helped me out with the locale a week or so ago.

For example I have this additional code in my head:
    <script>

var FC = FC || {};

FC.onLoad = function () {

FC.client.on('ready.done', function() {

if(FC.json.locale_info.int_curr_symbol != "EUR ") {

FC.client.request('https://'+FC.settings.storedomain+'/cart?locale=en_IE');

}

});

};

</script>
    I have inserted the code in your post above on this page: http://www.vault-backup.eu/cloud-backup.php

You will notice it switches from Euro's back to GBP once the full page cart loads (which is my default locale in my FoxyCart control panel).

Any ideas? :)
    @ChandlerComputers

We emailed you regarding that issue on August 19. It say here that you viewed the fix on Aug 19 @ 16:05. A fix has been released for that issue, and there is no more need for the workaround you pasted. You can remove that snippet and try out if your issue still persists.
  • edited August 2015
    @fc_jed

I have applied that fix and I'm not so sure it is resolved.

I still have the initial problem of the cart not clearing and changing to the correct locale if a visitor switches from .com, .co.uk or .eu.

Please take a look at the currency in the screenshot below:

@ChandlerComputers,

I just took a quick look at your site, and tried switching between the three sites and adding a product on each one. Each time it cleared the cart and was representing the new locale currency. Are you still experiencing the locale not matching what you expect? If so - can you detail the steps we can take to do that please?
  • edited August 2015
    Yes I'm still having the problem.

Please try this:
    1) Add an item to the cart
    2) Switch to a different store (top right)
    3) Click the shopping cart. You still see the locale on that page does not match what's in the cart, because we added an item before switching.

This is not a major problem but with the temporary fix @fc_jed sent me it was clearing the cart if you switched from .com to .co.uk for instance.

Another problem I've now noticed is after adding a couple of items, the sidecart goes blank at the bottom. If I click or highlight over the invisible text at the bottom it reappears as normal.

Please see screenshot below.

@ChandlerComputers

I see what you mean, but when you add a new item, it clears the cart and adds in the new product with the correct currency. I'm not quite sure if we support currency conversion that way, @fc_adam might have to confirm.

With regards to your sidecart's invisible text, it's a different issue altogether, and not at all connected with this thread or the previous currency issue you mentioned. Looking at the console it returns this error Uncaught ReferenceError: ga is not defined. Perhaps addressing your google analytics will help resolve that issue.
    edited August 2015
    @ChandlerComputers,

Ah ok - I see what you mean. You can put back in the javascript you had before then - that will work just fine for what you're describing, and there isn't any harm in keeping it there - it will do exactly what you're after.

You mentioned that it wasn't working with your locale - is that just for Edge when it forwarded you to full-page cart? If so, I think that may relate to the approach Jed suggested earlier. Try switching the code he sent with this:
    <script>jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    if (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Edge") != -1) {
    jQuery("body").addClass("fc-sidecart--bypass");
    }
    });</script>
    Include that at the bottom of your website template, after you include jQuery on the page.

In terms of the other issue - that is a known issue on our side which we have a fix planned for but haven't been able to perform QA on just yet. Specifically this is a small issue with our CSS that triggers what you're seeing in some cases. For correcting this in the interim if you can't wait for our fix, you can add the following custom CSS to your own website (not to the FoxyCart templates, but to your own website's CSS):
    <style>
    [data-fc-sidecart], [data-fc-sidecart] #fc-cart, [data-fc-sidecart] .fc-sidecart-only-fixed, [data-fc-with-sidecart], [data-fc-store-page], [data-fc-ui-block] {
    -webkit-backface-visibility: visible !important;
    backface-visibility: visible !important;
    }
    </style>
  • @fc_adam Thank you! It was not a GA issue but a .CSS issue with your own code. Your fix did the trick!

Please mark this as resolved.
  • @fc_jed, @brett, @fc_adam I've added the snippet provided by @fc_jed above and it seems to work fine, but now I'm getting very slow page loading time due to "waiting for cdn.foxycart.com...", could this be related to the snippet?
    @simona,

I'd recommend switching to the approach I detailed in my last post.
  • simonasimona Member
    edited August 2015
    @fc_adam Ah, thanks, I'd missed (hadn't read) that. Seems to be better but I'll keep monitoring it.
    @simona @ChandlerComputers, if you have a moment, we'd love it if you could test in MS Edge again. Our tests show Edge v12 works as it should with the sidecart. (I know there were a few issues discussed on this thread, but I'm talking about the "Sidecart doesn't work at all in Edge" issue.)

Thanks!
  • I've been watching this thread since it was created to see if the sidecart on Edge browser gets fixed as well as occasionally testing it on Edge myself. Since you're asking for feedback to see if the sidecart is working on Edge for your users, I figured I should login and give my feedback.
    The sidecart on Edge browser still appears to be broken in the same way as it has always been on our site.
    @alexc,

Thanks for posting. Could you confirm what version of Edge you're currently on?
  • @fc_adam,

My current Edge version is: Microsoft Edge 20.10240.16384.0

Thanks.
    @alexc,

Thanks for that - I've added your details to our ticket. Just to ensure it's all the same error - could you detail for me what you see when you try to click and add to cart please?
  • alexcalexc Member
    edited October 2015
    @fc_adam

Thanks.
    The issue we've been having since Windows 10/Edge was released is that, when you click on any foxycart button whether it's the view cart button at the top of the page or any "Add to Cart" button, the sidecart starts to appear before freezing, then the page reloads, the sidecart then attempts to slide in from the side again before freezing again and the page stops with the error "This page is having a problem loading ".

This appears to happen whenever the #fc-sidecart is appended to the url, this appears to cause Edge to reload the page in a strange way, when I tried debugging the issue myself, it looked like it was a jquery function that was firing immediately preceding the issue(s) occurring, but I can't be entirely sure as it's seems such a strange problem. We are using jquery 1.11.3.

I'll whisper you one of our store pages now in addition as that will probably be of more help to you to see the issue on a user's live store.

I hope this helps,
    Thanks.

• SparkySparky Member
    Hi Adam and team,

Is this still an issue? One of my customers has been unable to order from my website using a Windows 10 laptop and the Edge browser. The same issue has happened a couple weeks ago and again this week.

He said he picked the coffee, added to the cart, the cart icon in the upper corner shows that an item is in the cart, but he's unable to get to the checkout or cart page. He gets a Windows Error message, something about a page load issue, and it seems to be trying to load the home page (https://www.sparkplugcoffee.com/#how-it-works) and not the cart or checkout page. Any suggestions for me?

After finding this thread, I've asked him to try using a different browser next time. But am concerned that I'm losing sales to other customers using Windows 10 and Edge.

thanks!
    @Sparky,

Thanks for posting - I'm sorry to hear you're customer is having trouble ordering, that's definitely not what we want for them to experience!

We haven't had any recent reports for Edge issues - and have had trouble replicating it reliably on our side. For example, testing now using a browser testing tool with Windows 10 and Edge 15, your site worked just fine for us. Did the user confirm which version of Edge they're running by chance?
  • SparkySparky Member
    Thanks Adam - I'll ask him what version and see if he can replicate it and save some screenshots. He said that he usually uses Chrome but has had some issues with it recently so has switched back to Edge.

I'm happy if you can't replicate it and aren't getting other complaints. It probably means it is not a systemic issue but just something weird to do with this customer and his laptop configuration.

If I learn more, I'll let you know. Thanks again!