The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Taxes not being charged consistently...

pixelchutespixelchutes Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2015
We have a reproducible scenario in which applicable taxes (based on shipping address) are not being consistently charged in FC v2.0. Taxes do get calculated, but then a few basic steps result in no taxes being applied. Not good!

To reproduce:
1. Ensure store is configured for taxes in specific region, associated to category in use. (e.g. CA, NY, etc)
2. Browse to product page, ensure fresh fcsid. (store URL to-be-whispered)
3. Add shippable product to cart.
4. Click "Proceed to Checkout"
5. Fill out Shipping ZIP Code within taxable region (e.g. 84101)
6. Watch as Tax is calculated and applied, increasing the Order Total.
7. Click "Use a different billing address." checkbox
8. Fill out Billing ZIP Code outside the taxable region (e.g. 83704)
9. Watch as Tax disappears and Order Total is decreased.

(Optional)
10. Uncheck "Use a different billing address." checkbox
11. Watch as Order Total is not affected, tax is not calculated or re-applied.

This appears to be an order of operations issue, combined with lack of proper handling for certain events. It seems the way to work around this issue is to ensure that "Shipping ZIP Code" is entered last. That seems to trigger the necessary calculation and apply the tax. Unfortunately, it's not a realistic solution to expect each customer to stumble upon.

I'm sure I could rig some custom code to work around this, but this seems important enough a bug that it should be fixed at the source. Hoping the FC team can verify?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @pixelchutes, thanks for the clear explanation. We'll take a look and let you know as soon as we have news.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @pixelchutes,

Thanks so much for your detailed steps - and I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We have been able to replicate this issue and we've created a ticket to get it fixed as soon as we're able to.
  • @fc_adam, I appreciate the follow up and the support.
  • This just happened again, it is pretty frustrating knowing it is unreliable. Any chance this will be addressed soon?
    @pixelchutes,

I'm sorry for the delay in a resolution for this issue. I've just pinged the ticket on our side to see if we can look into this sooner.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We figured out the issue and are testing a fix now. Our QA team will be reviewing it. We'll let you know when it goes live.
    @pixelchutes,

The change has now gone live. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.