The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Some orders are not being charged shipping.

Hi,

I don't have free shipping turned on, but randomly it seems orders are coming through which are not charged shipping. This started 8/31/15 with order 849127722.
And again happened today with order 853702590.

I have no idea where to start investigating this. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Karen
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @kmadler,

We'd be happy to take a look. Could you confirm the store this is for please?
  • Right, that would be helpful :)

www.cmcrescue.com

Thanks, Adam!
    @kmadler,

Thanks for that. I can see the transactions you're referring to, and trying to replicate what the customer received it's providing an actual shipping cost.

There are a couple different stores that have experienced this type of issue that we're currently investigating. The problem that we're running into is that we're unable to replicate a $0 order occurring on our side. We can definitely see that it's happening, but without replication it's hard for us to know what's causing it.

I'll add your notes to the ticket on our side - and if you're ever able to replicate the issue, please do let us know.
  • Hi Adam,

I am completely at a loss as to what could be causing this, so I have no idea how to even start troubleshooting to get a replication.

If I do notice any sort of pattern, I'll let you know, but it just began 8/31/15 and already happened again 9/3. I'll let you know if it continues.

Thanks,
    Karen
  • fc_joshfc_josh FoxyCart Team
    Hi Karen.
    I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by this. I can only imagine how frustrating it can be. We'll keep an eye on things and watch for similar issues so we can try to replicate. Let us know if you find out anything else and we'll do the same.

Thanks,
    Josh
  • Hi Josh,

I'm not sure this is helpful to the investigation, but we had another order today which was not charged shipping:

www.cmcrescue.com
    Transaction ID 857012778

We have not recently changed anything in our store nor are we running any sort of promotions or free shipping. The products it is happening with are seemingly random and I can't reproduce it using Chrome. I don't know if it could be related to a specific browser? I haven't tried these shipping-free product orders in all browsers.

Just throwing some ideas out there!
    Best,
    Karen
  • Another one:

Transaction ID 858728171
  • Hi Josh,

Could it have to do with the area of the country a person is in?

This individual in the state of Washington placed 3 separate transactions and none of them were charged shipping:

9-8-2015 SO#254877 – Web#858728171/ Wordpress #2055
    9-8-2015 SO#254888 – Web#858732746 Wordpress #2056
    9-18-2015 SO#255417 – Web#864827113/ Wordpress #2152

And also an order from Virginia was not charged shipping:
    9-19-2015 Order #865589381

Thanks,
    Karen
    @kmadler,

Thanks for the additional details. I believe it does relate to the customer in some way - but I don't think it relates to their shipping location, as the different reports we've had from other users are for different shipping destinations. We're continuing to look into this.
  • Hi Adam,

We had a recent order that was not charged shipping. Did FC make any recent changes to the flat rate snippet code?

Thanks!
    @kmadler,

We haven't made any changes to the snippet on your store. Looking at the $0 shipping transaction - the customer did initially select a $60.12 shipping rate, but for some reason, it's defaulted back to $0.

I believe we've told you about the new custom shipping endpoint feature that's coming soon - that should negate issues like this as it will bring the custom flat shipping rates into native functionality rather than attempting to dynamically alter the checkout like it does currently. We're just waiting on a systems change before we can roll it out. I'm sorry that these types of issues are affecting you in the interim though!
  • We had the exact same problem on July 25. We had a transaction that was charged only the handling fee.

Adam, we really need better shipping features. Adding Javascript in the custom footer is just too finicky and error prone.
  • kmadlerkmadler Member
    edited August 2016
    Just happened again this morning that an order was not charged shipping. Oddly, there was a period of some months where this didn't happen at all. Now there have been 2 such transactions the past week.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @hhk225 and @kmadler, we've got new functionality for a custom serverside endpoint. We'll update you about that option as soon as it's available, and we can assist in migrating over to it. We'll also take a look at the current situation and followup by email.
  • Hi there, we just had this happen on one of our sites. UPS ground but with $0.00 value. This happened once months ago but never happened again until today. I'll whisper the order number.
    @JBurns,

Thanks for whispering that. I've taken a look at the logs for this transaction - and it's not immediately clear exactly what happened. I can see there were multiple shipping rate requests that happened for the customer, and the returned rate from UPS was $11.81 for Ground - so that's what the customer should have been charged.

One thing I did notice is that the automatically included header assets that the checkout inserts are being included twice on your checkout. I believe it's some form of issue related to the commented out FoxyCart includes in your template. In my testing, if you remove the following code from the template it correctly only includes one set of the code as it should:
    <!--     -->
    <!-- BEGIN FOXYCART FILES -->
    <!--<script src="https://***.foxycart.com/files/foxycart_includes.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.foxycart.com/scripts/colorbox/1.3.16/style1_fc/colorbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" charset="utf-8" />
    <!-- <script src="https://cdn.foxycart.com/***/foxycart.complete.3.js" type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"></script> -->
    <!-- END FOXYCART FILES -->

<!-- BEGIN FOXYCART FILES -->
    <!-- <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://static.foxycart.com/scripts/colorbox/1.3.16/style1_fc/colorbox.css" type="text/css" media="screen" charset="utf-8" />

<!-- END FOXYCART FILES -->
    I don't know for sure if that was the cause of the shipping ending up as $0 here, but it is a possibility.