Single Use Coupon

Is is possible to create a single use coupon?
Where I have a coupon that can only be used once per customer, but without having to generate a coupon for each customer?
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @richtestani

You can set number of uses allowed per customer (0 for unlimited) to 1 when you're editing the coupon. The coupon codes would be the same for all your customers, but customers can only use a code once. Is that what you were looking for?
  • Yes it is.
    How does Foxycart know who the customer is before checkout, or is it at checkout the coupon would be intercepted?

How does it work with guest checkouts as well?
    @richtestani

The coupon is intercepted when checking out. It returns an error code This coupon has no further uses available for you., which prevents checkout. It also works for that email address even if it's used in a guest checkout.
  • Great, thanks Jed.
    Rich
    @richtestani

You're very much welcome! Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns.
  • Hi Jed,
    I'm testing this scenario out and the coupon is allowed used many times.
    Here is an image of the setting for the coupon

Any ideas why its allowing me to reuse the coupon?
    Thanks
    Rich
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @richtestani,

Could you please confirm the store and the coupon code in question that you're testing with? Feel free to whisper if you want to keep it private.

Also, just to add to Jed's earlier reply - the coupon restriction to the number of uses per customer is only a featured added in our latest 2.0 store. Earlier versions can still limit by the number of uses for the whole coupon, and the number of uses per individual coupon code.
    @richtestani

Thanks for confirming which store and coupon you're referring to. I'm sorry I forgot to make it clear that the resolution I was talking about was for stores on the latest version, I should've asked for your store first. That was my bad.

Since you're in 0.7.2, the only option available for you is to set the number of uses allowed per individual code to 1, as @fc_adam pointed out. You can use a combination of those two options but total number of uses allowed for all codes supersedes the other option, so it would be redundant if you specified a value for both.

If you want the functionality that I described earlier, you can get that natively once you updgrade to 2.0
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @richtestani,

Just to add to Jed's reply - the best way to achieve true 1 use per customer in older stores is to set the uses per coupon code to be 1, and then generate a whole stack of codes for that coupon. You would then provide each individual customer with their own unique code so they only get that single use.

In terms of tracking the usage - the coupon will only be counted as used if it actually applies a discount to the transaction. If the transaction is already $0 then the coupon can't actively apply.
  • Jed & Adam,
    Thanks for clarifying everything about the coupons.
    The options make more sense now in how best to handle our situation.
    We've decided to deduct a full amount on an item instead of a 0 dollar item
    so it can be tracked easier.

We still wanted only a single code to work with rather than the complexities of a different code per customer, so we will just do our own internal tracking for multiple uses on this promotion.

Thank you again.
    Rich