foxycart and Bento crm query

sunsurfsunsurf Member
in General edited May 2012
Hello,

My client has asked me to ask in the forums whether anyone has had any luck integrating Foxycart with Bento CRM.

I can't find too much info on Bento - it sounds like it is a Mac database software for people who don't like dealing with databases.

Is Bento compatible with Foxycart? Is it customisable with Foxycart data?

Success stories or otherwise.

Any information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    Seems that Bento is a product from the Filemaker Pro family. I didn't see any indication that there are any sort of web hooks, but they could certainly periodically export their orders and import them into Bento.
  • RolfRolf Member
    Bento is from the FileMaker family. Bento is basically a FileMaker Light and not serious for developing imho. You can not easily hook it up to other apps or PHP. FileMaker is not a database like (My)SQL. Read about FileMaker to know more, this text area is too small to go into that.

It's not like Bento (or FileMaker) is related to a web app by default. Normally you create desktop database apps with it that also have a possible web interface, but it's limited. For example with Bento you can create a database app quite quick (GUI style) for your cook book collection :)

FileMaker can do pretty big things if you know how to work with it (and the limitations). You can also hook up with PHP, but you need the Server version and Bento is not the right candidate.
    So with that you could build a web app for example that uses the FileMaker database as source and get/set data with it. Most of the time FileMaker is hosted internally so not setup for world wide access (as far as speed goes, I'm not talking about security).

In a nutshell, no you can not use FoxyCart inside Bento. But that is like asking if you can put a cassette into a mp3 player. If you know the 2 it sounds ridiculous, but your question imho is the same; these 2 have nothing in common really. But if you flex your muscles you can probably get something to work (but not with just Bento).. for example, I could think of a solution to get the music from a cassette into the mp3 plater using gateways.

You know what I'm saying? :)

PS > I work with FileMaker often, but don't have real Bento knowledge so maybe something is possible, but I doubt it. Bento is like the baby super light version and I'm only used to FM and FM Advanced + it's Server version.
  • RolfRolf Member
    Yes, what sparky says there is probably not even possible without manual stuff: "exporting FoxyCart stuff and importing it in Bento"

FileMaker can read Excell pretty good (so I assume Bento can do also).. so exporting from FoxyCart turning it into the Bento Excell template and then import the data.. and not automatically.. this will haunt you after a while, so I would not recommend it. (or maybe they are selling 4 things a year?)
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    I guess the bigger question might be: what is your customer hoping to accomplish? They might be able to get the same thing with MailChimp or Salesforce, both of which have Foxy integrations.
  • Hi Sparkweb and Rolf,

Thank you so much for the detailed and experienced feedback.

Having never used a CRM before I am not 100% sure on how the client intends to use it.

I will pass on your comments and see what they say.

I will come back to you when I know more.

Are either of you available for hire and interested in integrating Foxcart with the chosen CRM for us- or do you know someone who has the skills and interest to do so?

Thanks again.

Nick
  • RolfRolf Member
    @sunsurf, I'm sorry but can't help out.. I already have too much to do and need more free time :/
    But you can always post more info on the forum if you have questions or need ideas/thoughts from others.
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    Nick,

The client use-case is really they key question here. I used Bento soon after it was released and quickly discovered that it was not a very useful tool for anything beyond the most basic use case. Even finding a way to easily share data with other Bento users was a problem, let along syncing it with external data sources.

Salesforce is a much more robust system that, as @sparkweb mentions, already has a FoxyCart integration available.

When you know more about your client's use case, please do post again and maybe we can make a more informed recommendation for you.

Lance
  • No problems - thanks again for the info and the heads up Rolf.

Great input Lance, thanks so much. I have asked the client to outline what they would like to achieve with a CRM and I will come back with more info.

Have a super day.
  • sunsurfsunsurf Member
    edited June 2012
    Just confirming that the client really appreciates everyone's input and that they will review Salesforce and Mailchimp shortly - I think she might sit on it for a bit before actioning, this was more a recon mission.

Thanks again
  • lancelance Member, Community Support Member
    @sunsurf -

Glad to be of assistance. Magic forum rainbow power!

Feel free to post again as you have more information, or if any other questions come up, feel free to start a new thread.

Lance
  • I know this is an old post but I finally have the information I need to outline how the client uses their foxycart data currently - for managing orders and deliveries - and how they would like to. It is directly related to the original question - but should I start a new post given the age of this thread?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @sunsurf,

Feel free to continue in this thread - as that will also give us the history of the topic to refer to.
  • Ok great, thank you Adam.
    I'll get my notes together and write back by mid next week.
    Thanks
  • Change of plans - this is on hold for now. Thanks Adam.