Mobile examples?

babblebibbabblebib Member
in Help edited August 2012
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some examples of sites that have implemented Foxycart (any version, inc v1.0) for a mobile friendly or tablet friendly sites.

Ideally, I'm looking for examples of responsive sites that use a single checkout page for all device types form mobiles up to full desktops, however I'm also keen to see any purely mobile focussed sites.

I know Foxycart are working on updates to make the checkout better for responsive designs, but I am wondering what is possible right now.

Regards
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I think @brett has some favorite examples he refers to during sales and pre-sales calls. We'll ask him to get back to you on this one as well. ;-)
  • Brett, I'd welcome the follow-up example links that Luke forecasted you making in his last comment...
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey Patrick. They were sent as a whisper which I'll send your way now as well.

For others reading, here's the important part:
    We are working on a fully responsive version (which is mostly done but needs a lot more testing and some additional design), but with the new 1.0 Twig templating you should be able to do just about anything you need. Sorry we don't have better mobile defaults yet, but we're working on them.
  • Just adding my anticipation for the arrival this responsive version of the checkout etc. Just went live with a new online shop that's fully responsive except for the cart/checkout etc. and for someone like myself who only knows a twig as something coming out of a tree, I'd be over the moon to get my hands on the new version! :)
  • For anyone following this thread, I implemented a separate mobile site in the end with a separate mobile cart (yes, two seperate cart subscriptions too! ... bummer :( ).

I'd be happy to answer any questions if anyone has any/

http://mobile.babblebib.com/
  • Looking forward to the responsive update- according to recent stats it's becoming more important imperative to offer a mobile option, some are even visiting from scanned QR codes.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We completely agree. We're juggling quite a few projects right now and I'm lobbying hard to get this one pushed towards the top of the list.
  • Thanks Luke!! Lobby harder!!!! Do you have any estimates at all? Like Feb-March 2013? or are we talking May-June 2013? or later? Any estimates would help.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ocorral,

Unfortunately no estimates currently. We do want to get it in the app as soon as possible though! Suprisingly, I can't find an entry on our features request board for mobile friendly templates. Could you add a request for it here: http://requests.foxycart.com/ and that way you'll be updated on progress.

For what it's worth, like Luke said, we are really keen to get this into FoxyCart - it's a very important feature for sure.
  • Great! Just added it.
    @ocorral, thanks!
  • Hi,

At the moment, the only work-around is to run 2 stores. This is a bit of a pain point in terms of maintaining the various settings across them both but the main issue is that i have to pay two lots of monthly bills.

Is there any way I can get some kind of refund on my second store until the responsive solution is provided? I can demonstrate that the second store is used for the mobile version of the same site.
    @babblebib,
    At the moment, the only work-around is to run 2 stores. This is a bit of a pain point in terms of maintaining the various settings across them both but the main issue is that i have to pay two lots of monthly bills.

Just to clarify, while that is one approach - it's not the only approach for mobile friendly checkouts. It's definitely possible to build out a responsive template that adapts to the screen size of the customers device within a single store set up. By using CSS media queries, you'd selectively style the pages based on the users viewing device.

Could you send us an email to helpdesk for your second query about the discounted second store? We'll discuss that more with you there.