The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Need Help with Checkout Page Custom Field Javascript

RobertRobert Member
in Help edited April 2013
My client would like a very specific feature for the checkout page. I need an HTML Select tag drop down menu that the user has to choose an item from the drop down in order to checkout successfully. I found this page about adding custom fields (http://wiki.foxycart.com/v/1.1/checkout), but I need help with the javascript code that would make this possible.

Menu:
Sidebar Description: Would you like to subscribe to the newsletter?
1. (Default State) -Select-
2. Yes, please sign me up
3. No
4. I am already subscribed.

I need to create the javascript that would throw a soft error or just doesn't validate if they don't select one of the options in the menu. I am not very good at javascript so any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Rob
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Robert,

Actually, you don't need any javascript at all - the checkout has some validation logic in there - and you can create your dropdown to be required as part of that. You just need to give it a class of "fc_required" and include an error label for it as well. Something like this should work:
    <label for="newsletter" class="fc_pre">Would you like to subscribe to the newsletter?<span class="fc_ast">*</span></label>
    <select name="newsletter" id="newsletter" class="fc_required">
      <option value="">- Select -</option>
      <option value="Yes">Yes, please sign me up</option>
    </select>
    <label for="newsletter" class="fc_error" style="display:none;">Please select an option.</label>

• Thanks fc_adam. So much more simple than I thought. Thanks for the quick response!