The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Passing shipping method to PayPal

fewdiodavefewdiodave Member
in Help edited February 2012
Hello. I'm setting up a shop that uses PayPal Website Payments Standard. I'm moving over to FoxyCart from the hell that was Magento, and loving everything about FC so far. One thing that has me confused at the moment... With Magento, the specific shipping method chosen by the customer would show up on the PayPal order. This is important to my client, because he wants his fulfillment guy to just get the PayPal email and get all the info from that (which also allows him to easily send out a "shipping" email to the customer with an attached tracking number).

With FoxyCart, though, the shipping method doesn't seem to be passed along to PayPal (or, at least, it's not showing up on the PayPal invoice). Is there any way to force that?
Comments
  • sparkwebsparkweb Member, Integration Developer, FoxyShop, Order Desk
    I don't know specifically about the PayPal issue (maybe the foxy guys can chime in), but I'll make two notes/suggestions:

1. Check out www.stripe.com if you want an easy way to accept credit cards as well with no monthly minimum fees.
    2. You could just pass the FoxyCart email on to the distributor. It's a lot more flexible than the PayPal one.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @fewiodave,

Could you let us know which store this is for? Also, we generally recommend using the FoxyCart generated email receipt, it contains all the information that is set for the order.
  • Hi, the store is:

http://mamadookids.foxycart.com/cart?name=testing&price=9.99&cart=checkout

Yes, I've tried to convince him to just go with the FoxyCart receipt. He wants to use the PayPal one because it allows him to easily send out a "shipping" email with the tracking number added, which, as far as I know, can't be done with FoxyCart.

sparkweb, thank you for the suggestions. It's not my store, but I have tried to convince him to get away from PayPal, but he's adamant about staying with them, for some reason.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Do you happen to know where the shipping description is displayed on their previous emails? Is it in a custom field?
  • It's in its own column:

http://i.imgur.com/0m2V4.png

I don't necessary need it like that; I just need the method written on there somewhere.

I'm guessing this is probably something that could be accomplished with the xml datafeed, but I tried reading the docs for it, and it just went over my head. I understand the basic concept behind it, but I couldn't grasp how to make it work.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Oh, I see what they did. They just added shipping as a completely separate product line item. Interesting. Curious that they wouldn't use the built in shipping cost features. I wonder how this throws off tax calculations and such? Seems kind of silly. A better approach may be to list the shipping as a line item but give it a $0 amount so the "shipping" sub total amount is still correct. We'll take a look at the docs and see what options are available.
  • Thanks for your help!
  • It dawns on me, I wonder if part of the problem could be because I'm using the custom "multiple flat rates" shipping option javascript? Could that be causing some confusion?
    @fewdiodave,

When it comes to javascript based shipping modifications, I generally recommend not allowing customers to go to PayPal before they hit the FoxyCart checkout by removing the 'checkout with paypal' button on the cart template, so they only get to PayPal from the checkout.
  • Hi Adam, I actually did do that already, so they are already forced to go to FoxyCart's checkout.
    @fewdiodave,

So just to clarify, the shipping charge as set by the custom javascript is being pass on to PayPal, but the shipping rate selected is not?
  • No, sorry if I wasn't clear (or maybe I'm not understanding you now)... the rate is going through fine, just that the specific shipping method (ie., "FedEx 2-day", "FedEx Overnight", "USPS Parcel Post", etc), is not showing up on the paypal invoice. My client is hoping this can happen (as it did on the earlier, non-FC version of the shop), so his fulfillment guy only needs to get the one email and will know what needs to be sent and which shipping method to send it out in.
    @fewdiodave,

Ok - that clarifies it, thanks.

There may be an issue where the fake rate details just aren't being passed into PayPal like they do for the FoxyCart receipt. Could you try enabling the FoxyCart receipt temporarily and check if the rate description is making it into that?
  • That makes sense.

I'm out for the evening, but I'll try it either later tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

Thanks for the help!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I think the previous solution they were using (based on what you showed me in that image) added the shipping costs as an exact product. We've implemented with PayPal using their recommended process which is to list shipping separately. If you want to add your shipping as a product, you could do so, but it would be a little more tricky.
  • Gotcha Luke, thanks.

Let me ask you this... in your opinion, is this something that could be, theoretically, handled with the FC XML datafeed? Here's what I would optimally like to do: have the fulfillment guy be alerted that there is a new order. He goes to a password-protected area on our site, where the xml datafeed for the order has been converted into a webform of some sort, with all the relevant info he needs (including shipping method) listed for him. Then, all he would need to do after the order is packaged is enter the tracking number into the form, hit submit, and a "now shipping" email is sent to the customer.

That would be in a perfect world, and it seems to me it's not a crazy thing to happen. If that is possible with the FC datafeed, my next question is, how difficult would it be to put this together? Is this something that I, someone with a reasonable amount of html/css knowledge, but far less javascript/jquery knowledge, and really no programming experience beyond that, could learn how to do in a reasonable amount of time? Or is this something we'd be better of hiring a programmer to do?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey fewdiodave. That's actually exactly the type of thing the datafeed is for. It does take some programming knowledge, however. You can take a look at these integrations to get some ideas: http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration

I'll whisper you some developer recommendation as well that might be able to help you out.
  • Excellent, thank you so much!
  • Hey Guys,

I am looking to add the same paypal standard integration with my checkout, I cant seem to figure out how to get it to show only in the checkout and not the cart. I am expreiencing the same problem as the original poster, the shipping charges are not being passed to paypal from the cart. I am sure it is something simple. store is muzzle-loaders.foxycart.com.

Thanks,
    Jeff

• I got the paypal and -OR- hidden in the cart, using:

<style type="text/css" >
    #fc_cart_container a.fc_cart_checkout_paypal, .fc_cart_checkout_or {
    display:none !important;
    }
    </style>

Another question is how do I hide the "Safer, Easier way to Pay" text in the checkout? I am pretty new to all of this programming, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Hi Jeff, it's been a while since I had to do that, but if I remember correctly, the "Safer, Easier way to Pay" was part of an image, so you have to either change or hide that image. I don't recall exactly the bit of CSS I had to display:none to to accomplish that, though. I'm sure someone will be along from FoxyCart to help more than me, though!
    @jclemen14,

You should be able to change that text from the 'language' section of your stores FoxyCart administration. If you load up that page, expand the 'checkout' section and search for "paypal" you should find the entry to edit. From there you can change that text to be whatever you want.
  • Thank you both! I used the language portal to get it fixed, super easy, just was unaware of it! Also was able to edit the text that displays once paypal is selected. Blessings, Jeff