The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Setting Up a Promo Code with $0 Value But Used For Tracking Purposes

jdenovojdenovo Member
in Help edited June 2014
I'm about to start a campaign where I'd like to give away a particular product for free when someone purchases another. We can track this manually within the office but what I'd like to do is set up a promo code that tracks when people enter it, internally, we know to include the bonus product with it. Can I set up a promo code that has ZERO value but can be seen by our team on the backend that shows they entered the code at checkout? Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jdenovo,

Yep! You can create a $0 coupon code that you can see is attached to a given order.
  • Thanks! But I don't see anything attached.
  • Nevermind.. I see what you're saying! Not enough coffee this morning! Can you specifically walk me through what settings to use? (coupon type and details) Thanks!
  • @fc_adam,
    The problem I'm having is when I use a $0 discount, while it may work, when I plug it into the checkout it doesn't show up. The only times it works when the discount has some value. So to my customers they will think the code isn't working if has the $0 value.
    @jdenovo,

Which store is this for? I just tested a coupon with details of "1-0" on a 1.1 store and the coupon is displaying as $0.
    @jdenovo,

Ah - actually, we just realised that while you can add a $0 coupon, and it will display in the cart/checkout - a $0 coupon isn't saved against the transaction currently, so your team won't see it against the order. For it to be tracked correctly currently, you will need to make the discount a positive amount - like "discount by an amount based on the quantity" and "1-0.01".

I know that's not the best solution, but that will get the coupon tracking the whole way through the checkout.
  • Hey @fc_adam, thanks for the help. Yeah I ended up doing a "single|1-0.01" so that way when someone enters the code it discounts just $0.01 and then tracks the actual code throughout the process. So that will work okay? My store is Kijaro. Thanks!
    @jdenovo,

As with anything, we recommend testing, but that should work!