The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Taxes in V2.0

LisaLisa Member
in Help edited August 2014
I am just checking out v2.0 ready to change our cart over when the full release is available and I love the new responsive checkout, but I am having some problems with the calculate taxes option that now appears in the cart. Being in the UK we just don't generally split taxes out if we are selling to consumers and I am worried it will confuse customers. Is there any way to hide it? I have a had a look in the admin section but can't seem to find a way to turn it off from there? Or I am just asking for something is not possible?!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Lisa,

That's a great point. Currently there isn't a way to automatically hide it - but you could hide with the CSS on the cart to prevent it displaying there.
  • LisaLisa Member
    Perfect, thanks for such a quick response. I shall have a go at that later! I'm getting better with CSS so hopefully I can work it out :)
  • LisaLisa Member
    @fc_adam I have managed to hide the taxes section from the cart using CSS. But have another UK specific problem now I'm afraid! The address autofill section on the checkout is not very useful for most addresses as it just uses the central location of the first half of the postcode, which is not always (or even normally) the postal town for the address. It then enters the country in the address e.g. England, Scotland, Wales etc, when we would normally include the county in the address instead such as hampshire, essex etc

I have trialled it for over 10 addresses and not one of them has come out correct so customers would always have to change it to enter their address manually, which doesn't make for a very smooth checkout experience. Is is possible to turn the lookup option off? If not is it possible to override it using CSS so customers just have to fill their full address in? In our current checkout running in an older version we use a popup option from Postcode Anywhere with a bit of a work around to do a postcode lookup and then autofill the checkout and would love if Foxycart supported an official integration, but the new option is likely to cause more confusion than assistance.
    @Lisa,

Thanks for sending through that information. The postal code lookup functionality is obviously new in 2.0 - so any and all feedback is definitely appreciated there.

I can see how that would certainly be less than ideal, so we'll discuss adding a way to disable it, as currently it automatically defaults to on if it's a country we're able to autocomplete for.

Would it be possible for you to whisper me the postcodes you tested, and what their address should be? We can use that when evaluating the effectiveness of services for postcode lookups moving forward.
  • UPUP Member
    Hi Adam, one of my clients has successfully used Postcode Anywhere for the UK. I was involved in the front end design, rather than the technical build, so didn't get involved in the detail, but I know it worked! http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/ May be a potential solution for you.

Looking forward to 2.0 !
    @UP, Thanks for that!

@Lisa, thanks for whispering those postcodes, that's very helpful.