The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

new_customer_password: Error: Please enter a password.

mmepmmep Member
in Help edited October 2014
Foxycart version 2.0.
I am seeing "new_customer_password: Error: Please enter a password." in my error log and getting contacted by customers stating that they cannot check out. They receive an error as well asking them for a password and there is no place on the checkout form to enter one. This doesn't seem to affect everyone, maybe 10%. If they try enough times (2 - 10), the order eventually goes through without an error.
I had the site set to guest checkout only. It should not require or ask for a password during the checkout process.
Due to this issue, I changed it today to allow guest and customer accounts. I received the error message again after that change. I would prefer the checkout to be guest only.
Every error appears to be a PayPal checkout.
I have received feedback from customers experiencing the issue and they swear they do everything the same and one time it just works.
Comments
  • I've managed to recreate this but not reliably. The error seems to occur after returning from PayPal. Just below the "Your Email" there is a message "Checking your email address..." My email address is filled in and correct. If I go ahead and click "Confirm Your Order", I receive the "Error Please enter your password" message. I only see the "Checking your email address..." message when it is going to fail. The "Checking your email address..." message does go away when I click "Confirm Your Order". If I go ahead and click "Confirm Your Order" again, without changing anything, the order sometimes goes through. Sometimes I confirm my order several times and it goes through. Sometimes not.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @mmep,

Thanks for posting these details. I've just replied to your email you sent in to our helpdesk earlier today as well. If you'd like - lets continue the discussion there.
  • I am getting a few customers that are complaining of this error as well and it does not appear to be related to PayPal. I am in Guest Checkout Only mode. One stated that when she hit submit again the order was processed. I entered her email address and shipping info in another order and it processed ok for me. I am in test mode.
  • For what it's worth my client was also being asked for a password in spite of my setting the store to go through checkout with Guest Only way back.

I tried to track this down with him but it as an intermittent error and I could not duplicate it so we decided to let this error go...for now.

But it does seem based on my client's experience and that of some of you all on this thread that there is something wrong that causes this error though tracking down what that something might be may not be easy.

Carlos
    @carlos123,

Thanks for adding your notes. We're still actively looking into this one, we haven't been able to reliably replicate this on our side, but we're trying a few different approaches for fixing what we believe may be happening.
    @mmep, @perryb24, @carlos123,

We've just rolled out a change that we hope will rectify this issue. Unfortunately as we haven't been able to reproduce it on our side, we can't be sure. If you see this error come up again, please let us know.
  • Thank you. I'll let you know if the error comes up again.
  • I am still receiving the errors today. After a couple of tries the customer was able to get their order through. As of noon today, all my customers have experienced this issue.
  • I have one customer this morning who e-mailed regarding it not allowing him to check out, but their not showing in the error log at all.
    @mmep,

That's a real shame. Sorry that this issue is persisting. Could you confirm for me your store so we can take a look at the logs for todays transactions?
  • I also have had a customer that received an error for this password issue this today. The error code is showing in my error log.
  • This error is still persisting and I am really looking for a solution to it. If nothing else could you include some wording on the checkout page to instruct the buyer what to do if they encounter it. We are at 3+ weeks working on this and my faith in the "Team" to ever find a resolution is fading. Please escalate the problem. Thank you 589thengineers.com
    @perryb24,

I know this is what I've been saying previously - but we are continuing to look into this issue. We've tried different possible solutions but unfortunately none of them have fixed the root issue here. The main problem for us at this point is this is not an issue we've been able to replicate at all on our side. This makes it very hard for us to work out what might be going on to cause this for so many customers.

It's also tricky for us to provide any steps for customers to work around the issue as we're not sure ourselves how to do so. From the customers reports that users have passed on to us, the reports are conflicting of what happened that they were able to checkout in the end - if they were indeed able to.

We're acutely aware of the fact that this is a continuing issue though, and is actively causing cart abandonments because of it. I'm really sorry that it's been persisting for so long.

• UPUP Member
    I had this problem too, but have since switched the default to 'account' rather than 'guest'. This resolves it and I can't see any reason not to have 'account' set as default since it's easy for a customer simply to untick the 'Save my address & payment info for next time' tick box, which effectively makes them a guest.

As a short term workaround, it's certainly worth considering. I haven't had any errors since.
    @mmep, @perryb24, @carlos123, @hhk225,

We've rolled out another change today that we believe should correct this issue. As before - if you see this error come up again, please do let us know - but we hope that this change should prevent it from happening.