The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

'Continue Shopping' button crashes Chrome and Firefox browsers on Mac

Just been testing my site and noticed that the 'continue shopping' button on the sidecart makes Chrome browser on the Mac crash..

I've tried it on my own site, but you can also see this behaviour on the demo site

http://www.foxycart.com/features/examples

click 'add a red cool example', then 'continue shopping' a few times and the browser will crash after a few cycles.

If you click directly on the page to close the cart instead of using the 'continue shopping' button it seems to be fine.

I'm using Chrome Version 40.0.2214.115 (64-bit) on OS X 10.9.5

I get the same problem on Firefox, but it seems a bit more tolerant. Chrome crashes after about 2 cycles, firefox seems to last about 10

Firefox version is 35.0.1

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @samwoolf,

I tried to replicate this on my side but was unable to do so with the same version of Chrome but a newer version of OSX.

At what point does the browser crash for you - is it when you click the add to cart, or when you click the continue shopping button?

Also - if you open Chromes developer console (cmd + J) or view the browsers error, do you see any errors listed there when the browser crashes?
  • I've now tried on Yosemite, and I get the same behaviour. Its when you press the 'continue shopping' button.

Try pressing 'add to cart' and then 'continue shopping' over and over.. it crashes after about ten times for me.

The only error popping up is this one:

25application2.js?v=1424377831427:7 [framesocket] timed out while flushing to persistent storage

but when the browser actually crashes there is nothing.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @samwoolf, could you maybe screencast it for us, just so we know exactly? There was a super frustrating issue months ago with a returning customer logging in that'd crash Safari 7.1 (not 7.0.6 and not later versions of 7.1, and not any other browser), but this definitely would be a first for us if it's taking down multiple different browsers. (We found a way to super hard crash IE back in the day using CSS… that was fun. And by "fun" I mean "made me want to change careers".)
  • OK, well I hope this one doesn't make you want to change careers!

Here is a screencast of Chrome browser crashing in Mavericks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4sclziohyp2vzs/browser_crash.mov?dl=0
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @samwoolf,

Thanks for the video! I wasn't seeing that at all, but on testing again today without changing anything I can replicate.

So the issue isn't technically crashing the browser - but rather it's a bug in the Sidecart functionality that alters the browser history. Sidecart alters the history when closing Sidecart to ensure that there is only ever one instance of it there. So if for example you click multiple add to carts on the same page - if you step back through the history you don't have to step back through each add to cart action. But if you click add to cart and then close sidecart - you can click forward to go back to Sidecart being visible again.

It appears that the bug is affecting that, and actually causing the continue shopping action to redirect you to the page you were on before the page with the add to cart you clicked - an additional step back in the history.

I've created a ticket on our side to look into this, and we'll update you again when we have more information.