Prepaid Subscriptions?

jlivingstonjlivingston Member
in Help edited July 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a client who wants to sell their customers monthly subscriptions, but wants them to be able to pay for the entire subscription all at once. So they have subscriptions that last 3, 6, or 12 months, but their customers can pay monthly, or all at once.

Is there a way to set this up elegantly in Foxycart, so that my client still receives monthly orders from your system for shipping purposes? Currently, they are solving this problem by add a one-time purchase to the cart of the whole subscription amount, then adding a monthly subscription to the cart for 0.00. There are several side effects to this approach that make me want to ask you guys if there is a better way to do this, before developing any further upon this approach (I didn't set it up this way, I just inherited it).
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @jlivingston,

Unfortunately at this time the best approach is having a $0 subscription with a normal product for the up front cost.

The best approach otherwise would be to set up systems on the merchants side that tracks orders and handles sending notices as required as an upfront subscription renews monthly. That would require some more development work though - but would negate the need for the $0 subscription.
  • Okay, thanks for the confirmation, Adam.
  • Is this still the case or has something changed in the past 2 years? We've just set up a gift option which is essentially a prepaid subscription. Now we need to track what's been paid for and when to send it. What's the simplest way of handling it? Thanks!
    the gift page is at https://www.sparkplugcoffee.com/gift/
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @Sparky, good question. The basic approach is still going to be as described above, but the best way to do it would be to use the product bundling functionality, so the subscription and charge are inextricably linked.

https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/products#product_grouping_bundling_ensembles

That make sense? Let us know. We're here to help.
  • thanks! I get the idea and am sure it makes total sense to the developer. =)