The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

CSC/Paypal question for subscriptions

kanjigirlkanjigirl Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited May 2009
I'm currently setting up my first FoxyCart - my client's using Paypal Website Payments Pro.

I saw the info about Paypal having issues with CSC for subscriptions - however I tried a test order and it went through just fine.

Then I tried another - I logged in with the same info and used my credit card info on file with FoxyCart for the first order, and this time got this:

---
Error: There was an error processing your payment: (10748 Invalid Data) This transaction cannot be processed without a Credit Card Verification number.
---

I tried entering my same card info again, and not using the info on file. It went through fine too - so it seems that only if a customer saves their info will this happen? Is that the case?

If so, is there a way for me to hide that checkbox for saving credit card info?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    The CSC is actually required on initial checkout so even if you used some JQuery to remove it from the DOM, the serve side validation would catch it. As for PayPal, they allow some companies on a case by case basis to turn off the requirement of the CSC. For subscriptions using PayPal, you'll need to turn it off otherwise the follow up transactions won't go through. That's one of the reasons we don't recommend PayPal for subscriptions. You'd be better off going with Authorize or CDG.

Hope that helps.
  • That does help, thanks.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You definitely can remove the checkbox to save the CC info though, if that wasn't clear. You can do it with javascript or CSS.

A related topic is this: Would you like to allow users to save their CC info but still have to enter the CSC on checkout? This is actually how v051's shared-authentication works, and we contemplated making it a store setting regardless of shared-auth usage. In this case it seems like the only way you'd actually _want_ the user to be able to save their info is if the CSC is still required on future transactions.

Thoughts?
  • Brett,

Sorry for my delay - I'm not getting email notifications of replies.

Yes, we could absolutely remove that box to save CC info. That would help very much.

And, the second one sounds great too - I'll have to check with the client about which they'd rather do.

Can you direct me to something that tells me how to do both of these changes?
  • Luke, CDG told my client that they don't support magazine subscription sites, period. I think one of the two options suggested by Brett will work fine for us, and if need be we can just use the non-subscription fields and forego recurring billing.
  • Can someone tell me how to (1) remove the checkbox to save CC info and/or (2) have the user save their CC info not including the CSC, so they're forced to reenter it if they come back to make another purchase?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey kanjigirl. Normally you could just show/hide it with some CSS or javascript. In this case, we do some dynamic javascript stuff depending on if the returning customer has subscriptions/etc... so this one is a little tricky.

I tested this out and it seems to work:
    <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
      jQuery("#li_save_cc").remove();
    });
    </script>

• Thanks Luke - where do I enter this snippet - on the page in my site with the 'add to cart' form?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited May 2009
    In your checkout template. That's where the checkout form lives.

Just to be clear, if you're trying to do subscriptions and you don't save the payment card, it will fail every time. Our system is setup to require a saved payment card if the customer has any active subscriptions.
  • This is great - working fine. I am no longer using subscriptions, just basic one-time item purchases.
  • I just tested my entire checkout process.

I hid the 'save CC info' checkbox according to Luke's instructions on May 23 - that's working great.

But if I login to make another purchase as the same shopper, when I get down to the payment box I see two options:

#1 Use saved CC data (even though I don't want the user to save their CC data and didn't ask for it)

#2 Enter a new CC

I tried #1 and no, the order will not process. #2 goes through fine.

So, can you guys explain to me how to have returning user only have the option to enter a new CC, and not be allowed to choose saved data at all?
    Hi Kanjigirl.
    Is this perhaps a side-effect of having a user that actually _did_ save info prior to you implementing the hiding on the "save CC info" checkbox? If that's the case, then it probably wouldn't be an issue for "real" users (assuming you weren't live prior to the "save CC info" hiding.

If you have users who've already saved their info and you need to apply this fix, ... there's the API, or probably easier would be to do a little bit of javascript + CSS to hide the saved CC data <li> element (CSS), and check the checkbox for the new CC info (javascript).

Make sense? Need help with it?
  • No, I actually created a new user for this test. BUT it was the same credit card. Would that make any difference - I can't see how it should with a new user.

It makes sense but I will need a little help on how to implement this. I think I should do this in any event to hide that option and check that box, though, don't you?
    So... even with saying _don't_ save the CC info, the next transaction for that customer was showing a saved card? Can you confirm that? That's obviously not right, if that's the case.

You should probably do the above mentioned fixes either way though, yes, you're right.
  • Yes - that's what happened. There was no checkbox on the cart page that would allow the user to save a card the first time I ordered, but when I logged out and came back, and went to the cart and logged in, there were two checkboxes, one offering to use saved card data and one asking to enter another card.

I'm going to run through this again later today with a different card and completely different fake personage to test it again.

Can you tell me how to hide that 'use saved card data' as you said above:

...probably easier would be to do a little bit of javascript + CSS to hide the saved CC data <li> element (CSS), and check the checkbox for the new CC info (javascript).
  • Okay, I have confirmed this:

I placed a new order as a totally different person, new CC. No option to save CC info at all.

Then I placed another order, logged in again, and now I see:

http://www.getbornmag.com/images/foxycart-cc.jpg

So it's saving my CC info by default whether I ask it to or not.... I'd rather it not do that.

But I did figure out how to hide that saved info box with:

jQuery("#li_cc_saved").remove();
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    hey kanjigirl. This looks like a bug in 051. We're going to be working on a bug fix release and should hopefully have a solution for this soon. You may want to try downgrading to 050 in the meantime unless you're using 051 specific features. I've confirmed this bug does not affect 050.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    This should now be fixed in 051.